Pages

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Collingwood's team feel a sense of destiny


As Hussey was launching one of cricket’s great fightbacks against Pakistan, England were relaxing in more tranquil settings. Paul Collingwood, the England captain, was standing over a putt on the 18th hole at Barbados’s Apes Hill golf course, protected from a stunning reminder of the dangers Australia will pose today at the Kensington Oval.
Michael Clarke, Collingwood’s opposite number, described Hussey’s barrage against Pakistan as a great display of Australian endeavour and grit.
ICC World Twenty20 2010: Paul Collingwood's team feel a sense of destiny
Collingwood, perhaps sensing some old Aussie mind games, was refusing to let it dent Sunday’s sense of optimism as England bid for a first World Cup title.
“Whatever form of the game you play Australia in, it is the old enemy and obviously the Ashes is the ultimate, but playing in a World Cup final can’t be too far off that,” Collingwood said.
“We’ve never won an ICC trophy, but if we were to do it against Australia it would feel very, very sweet.
“We’ve been talking about it between ourselves and getting into the finals of World Cups doesn’t happen too often in the history of English sport, let alone cricket.
“If you look at the footballers in 1966 and then the rugby guys who’ve had a couple of finals, it is not something that comes around everyday so we feel like we’re in a privileged position right now.”
Ever since England dodged a bullet in Guyana, when Ireland were one break in the clouds away from a close Duckworth-Lewis run chase, there has been a sense of destiny around the team.
“There have been a couple of good omens for me out here, the other day in the semi-final I walked out on to the pitch for the anthems with the young girl mascot I had to hold hands with,” Collingwood said. “I said: ‘Hi my darling, what’s your name then?’ and she turned and said: ‘My name’s Lucky.’ So as soon as she said it I had a big smile on my face and thought what a great sign that is.
“I love those sort of things that happen along the way and it put a really good feel factor into my mind as soon as I heard that.
“I’m a little bit superstitious about things so I was supposed to get my hair cut out here, and I know it looks atrocious, but once we got on a roll I thought I can’t get it cut until we’ve got home and hopefully that will be with the trophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment